Monday, September 7, 2009

I'm an evacuteer

It's no secret that New Orleans is not only the MURDER CAPITAL, but also a location of fairly regular hurricanes. In the case of a category 3 or higher, there is a mandatory evacuation of the city, and since many people do not have cars here, there is a city-wide assisted evacuation.

Robert Fogharty (who is a very awesome dude) started evacuteer.org to gather and train volunteers from around the city to help others evacuate - right up until the last 12 hours before the storm hits in some instances. As soon as I heard about this I was like "OMFG SIGN ME UP THIS IS AWESOMEZ!"

Not only do I get to help people, but as a wannabe filmmaker, I've got a pass to possibly stay in the city during a hurricane ( I haven't quite worked out how to do this safely yet) and get some very badass footage.

Even though I'm excited about the possibility of this awesome experience, my practical side is starting to ask questions. For example, If I'm working outside at a pick up point for 7 hours at a time, and all of the surrounding businesses are closed (which they will be), then where do I pee? 7 hours is also a long time to carry a backpack, but I will need to have water and snacks on me, and I will definitely need to reapply sunscreen at least once. I know that making this sort of commitment falls into the category of "rouging it," and although I'm not really that type of girl, I REALLY REALLY want to be!

No comments: