Sunday, January 24, 2010
"Simplify, Simplify" - Henry David Thoreau
The first article I'm going to start with is called "Eliminate Something." It suggests easy things like not using plastic bags, but I already don't do that so I'm going for something a little more challenging: NO CELL PHONE FOR AN ENTIRE WEEK.
There was a point in my life where I felt that this would be the most stressful and anxiety-filled thing that could ever happen to me, but I'm actually looking forward to it. I think it could end up being a really freeing experience.
So, Starting tomorrow (Monday January 25th), I will be without cell phone. Cell phone use will resume on Monday February 1st.
This means finding creative ways to contact people and planning things in advance.
I'll let you know how it goes:)
Monday, January 18, 2010
My Newest BeFitNola Blog:
You may or may not have already read my previous post: “Some Things are Worth Quitting: Like Smoking,” which talked about how I quit and some of the things that I found particularly helpful.befitnola.com, Why Did I Quit Smoking?
Sunday, January 10, 2010
Here's my New Year's Resolution Plan (some of it I will fill out as I go):
A. HEALTHY BODY
2. Yoga 1 - 2x per week (Sunday 4p.m. and Wednesday 4:30 p.m. @ LIFE YOGA)
3. Run - 3x per week on MWF for 15 minutes before work; 1-2 hour RWHTR @ city park on Sundays
4. Fruit and/or veggie MUST accompany every meal
B. HEALTHY MIND/CONTINUING EDUCATION
1. Reading Yoga theory and how-to books (suggested by yoga instructor Nathalie Croix)
2. Learn a new language (just the basics for now) GERMAN - bc eventually I'm going to make a pilgrimage to the homeland
c. The Making of Americans - Stein
d. Freakonomics - Levitt & Dubner
e. When You are Engulfed in Flames - Sedaris
f. Naked - Sedaris
g. Magical Thinking - Burroughs
h. The Fountainhead Ayn Rand
i. the lathe of heaven - ursula leguin (suggested by Ryan Lane)
k. Moving into Stillness
4. Lean about SEO
1. Learn how to juggle
2. Learn how to juggle WHILE tap dancing
3. Make 5 new friends
4. Laugh more at things that usually annoy me
5. Spend less time being stressed out and more time having fun
D. PROFESSIONAL GOALS
1. Take the Trumpet Magazine to the next level by raising awareness, expanding distribution and forging partnerships.
2. Spend the first 15-20 minutes of each work day setting goals for that day and getting organized
3. Start preparing for future goals/plans/employment
4. Work as a freelance writer
1. Grow a mini-urban garden
2. Grow my hair out
3. From @thatspeaker advice: Surround myself with:
PEOPLE WHO ARE NICE TO OTHERS
THINGS THAT MAKE ME SMILE
In 2010, I plan to LIVE BIG