Sunday, January 24, 2010

One Week Without a Cell Phone

After reading "The GOOD (and ReadyMade) Guide to Slowing Down," I decided to actually follow through on some of these practices that seem very in line with my goals for 2010.

"Simplify, Simplify" - Henry David Thoreau

The first article I'm going to start with is called "Eliminate Something." It suggests easy things like not using plastic bags, but I already don't do that so I'm going for something a little more challenging: NO CELL PHONE FOR AN ENTIRE WEEK.

There was a point in my life where I felt that this would be the most stressful and anxiety-filled thing that could ever happen to me, but I'm actually looking forward to it. I think it could end up being a really freeing experience.

So, Starting tomorrow (Monday January 25th), I will be without cell phone. Cell phone use will resume on Monday February 1st.

This means finding creative ways to contact people and planning things in advance.

I'll let you know how it goes:)

2 comments:

Stacey Kay said...

When I first arrived at Yellowstone last summer, I thought that a week without a cell phone signal would be bothersome.

But it was indeed very pleasant and freeing :)

Good luck!

Pistolette said...

I tried something like this last year when I would not let myself use the internet for a week. It actually felt great after the first day or two, and I found myself dreading the return and facing hundreds of emails.

This weekend I'm heading to a cabin in the woods that is "off the grid" so I can relax. No internet, but also no TV, phones, radios or anything communicative. I can't wait :)